Monday 2 October 2017

Heather: September Sewing Roundup



September might have been a quieter month on the making front but it's been a great top-up for the stash!

Remember summer? That distant glimmer of sunshine we had over the Bank Holiday weekend? Well this tried and trusted McCalls 6503 was the very last of my summer makes, using this stunning printed cotton from the fabric swap at #SewUpNorth. With the darker colours in there I'm hoping it will also get some wear into Autumn with tights and boots, and it's a perfect match for a remnant of orange crepe from Fabric Corner Lincoln that I whipped up into my second Sew Over It 'Coco' Jacket.
#M6503 and Sew Over It 'Coco Jacket'.
After the summer weekend had finished I found myself wanting some longer sleeved garments to stave-off the rapidly approaching winter. A month or so ago I hacked the Sew Over It Penny Dress and Juliette Blouse into the 'Julinny' top, and used the remnants of a dress I made for Mum to make myself a top. I think this style will become an absolute wardrobe staple!
Sew Over It Juliette and Penny hack "Julinny'

You'll probably have seen a lot of coverage online of the Great British Sewing Bee Live event at ExCel London at the end of September. I think my esteemed blogging friends have done justice to reviewing the event, so I won't go into great depth but I will simply say that I had a fantastic day out, and will definitely be back next year! Here are a few snaps from the day (yes, we did take an empty suitcase to fill with fabric...)








I will, however, introduce you to my haul of gorgeous fabrics, carefully selected this time in contrast with my usual cheap'n'cheerful approach. I was hoping to get a few pieces for my winter wardrobe and the show did not disappoint! You'll have to check my future posts to see what I managed to make!

Sewing Bee Live Fabric Haul
And finally, on our recent holiday to America I was lucky enough to visit the absolute fabric mecca that is Mood Fabrics in New York City! I have never seen so much fabric in one place in my life, and it was honestly a bit overwhelming! 
#thankyoumood
Lucky for me that wonderful husband of mine spotted the absolute perfect Flamingo Print cotton lawn, that is actually one of Mood's own prints, and there couldn't have been a better choice in the store. The print repeat is over a metre, so I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet, but it certainly will be striking!

Mood Fabrics Flamingo Lawn
And last but never least, the October Dressmaking Blogger Challenge for the Dressmaking Blogging Group is... Costume!



Spooky sewing may not be your thing but we welcome costumes of all shapes and sizes for October.
As always it's a just-for-fun challenge.
Share your makes in the pinned album and tag across the web with#dressmakingbloggerchallenge

--

Happy Sewing everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment